Odessa College Rodeo – General Information
Odessa College will be hosting the 35th Annual Odessa College NIRA Rodeo February 21-23, 2019. The rodeo will be held at the Ector County Coliseum (Andrews HWY and 42nd Street). The performances will start at 7:00 pm each night. Thursday night there will be a short slack after the performance. There will be slack Friday and Saturday morning at 9:00 am starting with barrels.
- Current Coggins required at the gate.
- Stalls and dry RV spaces will be available on a first come first serve basis. Please DO NOT CALL to reserve stalls or RV Spaces.
- Stalls will be $30/night or $60/weekend
- RV hookups - $40/night (very limited number)
- Stalls can be purchased online at:
- You must print out and bring your receipt with you to check in horse(s)
- Payment by Cash and Checks will be accepted at the door for stalls not reserved online. Credit Card payments will not be accepted on site.
- Contestants will enter via the north gate on 46th street and park in designated area east of the barns and south of the coliseum. DO NOT PARK TRAILERS ANYWHERE IN THE RED AREAS MARKED AROUND THE BARNS (FIRE LANE) OR IN BETWEEN BARNS. Vehicles parked in these areas will be towed at owner's expense with no warning.
- The Ector Coliseum is a No Smoking Facility. Smoking is not permitted in the building, including behind the bucking chutes and timed event boxes.
- Buckles will be awarded to event winners. Ties will be broken in arena. Crazy Race will not be awarded a buckle; only Jackpot Money.
- No horses are to be left overnight in the Outback arena, stalls or pens.
- Slack order will vary (Order will be posted) with barrels first.
- Performance will be (BB, TD, BK, SB, SW, GT, TR, BA, BR)
- There will be a Crazy Race.
- 3 person team – we encourage a team from each school.
- One long round and a short.
- Long Round will be Thursday and Friday during the Performance after the barrel race.
- Short Round will bring top 4 teams back to Saturday Performance.
- $60 per team to enter. 100% payback.
- Exact rules will be announced at the rodeo. But, one contestant will need to be horseback and be able to ride a bicycle.
- NO DOGS are allowed in coliseum. Violators will be cited by ECPD or Coliseum Security.
- Host Hotel: MCM Grande Hotel & Fun Dome
- Contact Lulu Payan (432) 550-9814 for OC Rodeo Hotel Rate (129.00 per night)
- Vet on Call – Gardendale Vet Clinic (432) 550-3939
Odessa College Rodeo Ground Rules
Enforced by the Arena Director
General Ground Rules:
1. Only identified workers, coaches, event directors and officials will be allowed in the arena. (Students may watch the start in the timed events from the stands)
2. If you are on the dirt in the coliseum, you must be in dress code.
3. Contestants can enter through the west end of the coliseum on horseback. Or through the northwest doors for general admission. Must have your vest on or your NIRA card, or you may be charged admission.
4. Only Contestants with a qualified ride/run will compete in the short-round regardless of the amount of entries.
5. The arena will be closed – No riding in the arena (at any time) from February 20-23 through the conclusion of the rodeo.
1. Barrel Racing and Goat Tying will enter the arena with an open gate, on the run.
2. Only the contestant up and the next two (teams in team roping) will be allowed in the arena.
3. All contestants will enter through the center gates on the rough stock end of the arena. Only the contestant who is up and the next two contestants (teams) will be allowed in the arena, including slack. Steer wrestlers/hazers need to make splits accordingly 1 hour prior to the slack or performance.
4. Goat Tying contestants may not leave through the center of the arena.
5. Team Roping Contestants (both header and heeler) will follow their steer out of the arena.
6. An escaped animal in the performance will be replaced by the extra.
1. Only contestants and coaches are permitted behind the chutes.
2. Riders must exit the arena after their ride.